Wednesday, October 19, 2016

NaNoWriMo 2016 & Introductions

Greetings world!

This is a blog I used for a couple years between 2014-2015 to log some writing samples I was doing as a tie-in to a screenplay I wrote. For now, I've purged the entire blog, and I intend to keep this as active as I possibly can in the lead-up to NaNoWriMo 2016. What is NaNoWriMo, you might ask? It's National Novel Writing Month! The goal is to write a novel of at least 50,000 words during the month of November. You can check out my profile at the NaNo website here

In the lead-up to the start of November, I'll be completing at the very least a bare-bones outline of what I intend to do for the month. While I do want to push this project as a novel, I am also planning to adapt it in the future as a serial podcast. I currently co-host the Epic Film Guys podcast, which you can find over at www.epicfilmguys.com

A little about me to get started... I am 36 years old. I am married with two amazing boys. I graduated from Clarion University of PA in 2010 with a B.A. in English (writing). I have been writing for a heavy majority of my life, nearly thirty years, including one of the biggest projects I am involved with that I initially envisioned when I was around nine to ten years of age. I haven't done any writing in at least a year or so outside of some movie reviews. I wasn't hit with a case of writer's block, but rather I consciously decided to take a break from it to gain some perspective on my numerous projects and decide what I want to do with them. In this time I started podcasting with my friend Justin, and we are currently over a year in. I manage the twitter account for our podcast and do all of the post-production and sound editing work; our show is a film comedy podcast that aims to not only discuss what we love about going to the movies, but to have fun as well. 

For the remainder of October, I'll be focused on a sketch outline of what I intend to write. The characters and the world in which the story will be placed is part of a screenplay I already wrote called The Red Ray Lives, but the story I'll be writing will touch on the series of events that leads to the event known as the Day of Magnus, which is only briefly touched on in the screenplay. 

So why the blog? A lot of it is to hold myself accountable... and so my writing friends and fellow NaNoers can hold me accountable as well. In years past I have started writing for NaNo but ended in various states of completion, from barely beginning the outline to halfway through that year's project. This year I want to make sure I'm pushing myself to my absolute maximum and I am determined to get past 50,000 words. It's only just about 1,700 words per day, which may seem like a lot, but I've dwarfed that number in a single day when I am so motivated. While I won't be posting the novel itself in the blog, I will be posting select excerpts from it as well as some of my notes, and daily postings to advise everyone of my progress. 

If you're interested in being a beta reader for my novel, please contact me on twitter or send me an email. Meantime, I've got a lot of planning to do... thanks for reading!


- Nick

1 comment:

  1. Yes! So excited I'm not the only one doing this! Looking forward to reading your blog and kicking your ass with motivation - and also getting an ass kicking in return. Also looking forward to beta reading your work! Good luck, and Happy NaNo Season!

    ReplyDelete